Monday, June 13, 2011

Dreaming about....Sleep

5 am..yes..5 am this morning my eyes popped open.  Just like every other morning after five hours of sleep.  I rarely get six.  Oh, how I long for for 8 hours of sleep, but my body just won't let me.  I toss, I turn, I squeeze my eyes shut, then after fighting  for some time, I give up and crawl out of bed.  Off to my office I go for some quiet time, then I start to work.
I remember my daddy told me when I was a boy, that as he got older, his body didn't require as much sleep.    He would get up at 5 am every morning, the only difference, he didn't do it quietly. He would wake the whole house.  First thing he would do was turn on the TV to watch "Passe Partout" (pas pahtoo), then he would start clanking around in the kitchen to make breakfast.  Sometimes he would go so far as to get out his accordion.  Mind you, it's 5 am!
Passe Partout is the morning news and they feature local musicians.  I would wake up to the sounds of Clifton Chenier in the mornings along with many other great musicians.  I would lay in my bed as long as I could, but when I heard the music start, I had to get up.  I found it captivating to watch our Louisiana music on TV, even if it was a local station.  So I would watch, with sleep in my eyes, until the music was over.  Then it was time for chores and school.
So many great memories, and so many changes over the last 35 years.  But, it was hard to get up at 5 am then, too.  Maybe things haven't changed that much afterall.    I just need to get a little "Passe" in my "Partout" ...

No comments:

Post a Comment