Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Musicians how do you deal with criticism?

 
If you're new to the music business, get ready!  There are a lot of critics.  Too bad everybody we meet isn't a raving fan.   If you've been fortunate enough not to get complaints, I'll be more than happy to share some of mine.  This is the latest that was posted on my Facebook wall (removed so my "raving fans" wouldn't gang up on him):

"I saw u at the river. sun. ive seen u before. i enjoy dancing to ur music. but u talk to much. play music thatswhat the fans here. to dance. not listen to u talk about ur self. save that for when u go out of louisiana."

Now, this is the funny thing.  Just last year there was a lady in his group that told us not to play songs back to back because the dancers want to have time to change partners. 

I've been at this a long time and I have a list of complaints a mile long.  I can't say it gets any easier to hear these opinions, but I can't let it affect me.  Just know that you can't be all things to all people.  If you think you'll be able to please everybody, I'm telling you, it won't happen, it's impossible.  But when it comes (not if) don't let a few complaints take the wind out of your sails.  Focus on the people that love you, your band and your music just the way you are.  Keep making music and keep being you.
What stories do you have to share?  How would you handle this type of complaint?  Let's talk...

No comments:

Post a Comment